Friday, July 11, 2014

a few updates

I realize that I am not good about updating the blog these days, but I just had to put a few of these pictures up (even though some are several months old!)  As far as an Anna update, she is doing well but still has a long way to go as far as communication goes!  She is growing and keeping me busy.  Still no words yet, which leads to some frustrating moments - but she is finally starting to sign (we have been working diligently with her on signing for quite some time, but she is starting to come around with that).  She will bring me a book and give me the sign for "book" - then sort of dances in place and gives me her big cheesy smile when I clap for her and read the book.  She only has a couple of other signs for now, but I feel like she is about to take off in that area.  And we know she understands more and more - the boys will tell her something, and she will respond appropriately (for example, they will ask her if she wants to "bounce" and she will run to her big Swiss ball and wait for one of them to pick her up and bounce her on the ball).

Anna continues to do lots of therapy - PT, OT, and speech - and she started doing group speech therapy at a new place this past week.  Sometimes I feel a little discouraged about her progress, but when I look back at where she started...for example, I thought I would never get her off the bottle!  And now she can sip through a straw like a champ!  She is also starting to scribble with a crayon on paper, which is a vast improvement.  Anna also really enjoys sidewalk chalk and finds ways to color on doors/walls whenever she can.

Back in March we made a trip to Oklahoma, and we got to meet my friend Sarah's new sweet daughter, Rachel, who was in the same orphanage as Anna (that still is so crazy to me - Sarah and I have literally talked about adopting from China since we were in college, I think).  We also met up with my dear friend Paulette, whose daughter Lillie is also from China and so much fun!  Side note: my awesome niece, Taylor, was kind enough to come along with me when all of us moms met up at Chick-Fil-A.  She made the visit so much more enjoyable by helping us chase all the kids!  All of  decided that we should not have any get-togethers without Taylor present.


I love this picture of Taylor with Anna and Rachel - they are both trying to escape all the picture-taking!


All the moms with their Chinese kids...and Will (who is making a goofy face, of course)


Will and Lillie had a blast together - this was taken when we walked through an Asian grocery store (I had no idea such a large store existed in Oklahoma City!)  We were quite a sight in the store - all of us moms with our Chinese kids!
On a more serious note, Rachel will be having surgery soon and I know her family would appreciate your prayers.  Rachel is doing so well, and I can't imagine a better family for her than Sarah, Steve, and their boys - they are amazing!  You can read more about her upcoming procedure here: The next step 

In the fall a group will be going to Anna's orphanage for a mission trip.  One of the participants is going to put together a photo book of children who have been adopted from Qingyang SWI to take to the directors and nannies and show them how the kids are doing.  So I asked a friend from church if she would be willing to try to get a picture of Anna that I could add to the book.  Wouldn't you know that it rained on the day we had decided to meet - and of course that makes sense, because my little Anna is obsessed with rain and mud puddles!  So Cathy got some great pictures of Anna playing in the rain, and even looking outside at the rain (which is also what she does at home when it is raining - because she wants to be outside in the rain!).








Finally, we had a fun visit with another adoptive family who came to visit Baton Rouge a few weeks ago - and Anna now has a new friend named Jenna.  It is such a blessing to meet other families who have adopted and understand the shared experiences.  Jenna's family traveled with our dear friends the Halls when they went to China to get their daughter, so they have a unique friendship.  Now, getting Anna to sit still for a picture is difficult enough - but I am truly impressed that my friend June was able to get all three girls together for a picture!  I think somehow some candy was involved as a bribe...

Anna, Sarah Jane, and Jenna

1 comment:

  1. Love the Anna in the rain portraits! They seem perfect for the album! You are so blessed to have so many other little Chinese friends!! Thanking God for your little Anna!

    ReplyDelete